Monday, April 9, 2012

Who's feet have you washed lately?


Before the Passover celebration, Jesus knew that his hour had come to leave this world and return to his Father. He had loved his disciples during his ministry on earth, and now he loved them to the very end.[a] It was time for supper, and the devil had already prompted Judas,[b] son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. Jesus knew that the Father had given him authority over everything and that he had come from God and would return to God. So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him. 12 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing? 13 You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am. 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. 15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. (John 13)

This past week I had the opportunity to celebrate the death, burial and Resurrection of our Savior in my 
church's Holy Week Services. One of the sermons that really challenged us was regarding our service to 
others. John 13 is the passage that describes how as the hour neared for Jesus to leave earth and return 
to the Father he wrapped a towel around his waist, poured water in a basin and washed his disciples feet. 
 
In verse 14 and 15 Jesus says: And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to 
wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. 
 
Jesus was the ultimate example of what love truly is. We show our love for him when we serve others. 
Whose feet have you washed lately?  
 I hope you are challenged as I was to seek more ways that you can honor God by serving in your church, 
community, in your home or at your job. After all, Love really isn't love until you give it away. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post, it's a great daily challenge isn't it, looking for opportunities to serve one another and be Jesus to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita!

    Yes it really challenged me to do even more both in my church and outside my church. We should search for ways that we can serve people rather than waiting for the opportunities to come to us!

    Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete